JGCA Local Wellness Policy JGCA
The board shall promote and monitor a local wellness program. The program shall:
· Include goals for nutrition education, physical activity and other school-based activities designed to promote student wellness in a manner that the board determines is appropriate;
· Include nutrition guidelines for all foods available in each school during the school day; the objectives of the guidelines shall be to promote student health and to reduce childhood obesity;
· Assure that guidelines for reimbursable school meals shall not be less restrictive than regulations and guidance issued by the Secretary of Agriculture, as those regulations and guidance apply to schools;
· Establish a plan for measuring implementation of the local wellness policy, including designation of one or more district employees who shall be charged with operational responsibility for ensuring the wellness policy is effectively enforced; and
· Involve parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, the school board, administrators and the public in the development of the school wellness policy.