JBE Truancy and Dropout

JBE   Truancy and Dropout  (See AEB, IDCE, JBD, and JQ)         JBE-1

         The building principal shall report students who are inexcusably absent from school to the appropriate authority.

         Truancy is defined as any three (3) consecutive unexcused absences, any five (5) unexcused absences in a semester or seven (7) unexcused absences in a school year, whichever comes first.  School year means the period from July 1 to June 30.  Students who are absent without a valid excuse for a significant part of any school day shall be considered truant.

         Prior to reporting to either S.R.S. (if the student is under 13) or the county or district attorney (if the student is 13 or more years of age but less than 18 years of age), a letter shall be sent to the student’s parent(s) or guardian notifying them that the student’s failure to attend school without a valid excuse shall result in the student being reported truant.

         Waiver of Compulsory Attendance Requirements

         Students 16 or 17 years of age may be exempt from compulsory attendance regulations if the parent(s) or person acting as parent attend(s) the counseling session required by law and signs the appropriate consent and waiver form; if the student earns a GED; or if the student is exempt from compulsory attendance requirements pursuant to a court order.

         Involvement of Law Enforcement

         Law enforcement officers may return truant children to the school where the child is enrolled, to the child’s parent or guardian or to another location designated by the board to address truancy issues.

JBE   Truancy                                                                          JBE-2

         Reporting to Parents

         If a truant child is returned to school by a law enforcement official, the principal shall notify the parent or guardian.

         Dual Enrollment Students

         Eligible students who are enrolled in a board-approved dual enrollment program shall not be considered truant, for the hours during the school day they attend classes at a Regent’s university, community college, technical college, vocational educational school or Washburn University.



Unknown user,
Aug 28, 2013, 8:22 AM