JBC Enrollment


JBC   Enrollment (See JBCA and JQKA)                                        JBC

         Resident Students

         A resident student is any child who has attained the age of eligibility for school attendance and lives with a parent or a person acting as a parent who is a resident of the district.  Children who are homeless as defined by Kansas law and who are located in the district will be admitted as resident students.  For purposes of this policy, parent means the natural parents, adoptive parents, step-parents and foster parents.  For purposes of this policy, person acting as a parent means a guardian or conservator, a person liable by law to care for or support the child, a person who has actual care and control of the child and provides a major portion of support or a person who has actual care and control of the child with written consent of a person who has legal custody of the child.

         Non-resident Students

         Non-resident students are those who do not meet the definition of a resident student.  Non-resident students may be admitted only to the extent that staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies are available.

         A non-resident student who has been suspended or expelled from another district will not be admitted to the district unless approved by the board.

         Enrollment Procedures

         The superintendent shall establish orderly procedures for enrolling all students, including pre-enrollment, changes in enrollment, normal enrollment times, and communication to parents and to the public.

JBC   Enrollment                                                                      JBC-2

         Identification of Students

         All students enrolling in the district for the first time shall provide required proof of identity.  Students enrolling in kindergarten or first grade shall provide a certified copy of their birth certificate or other documentation which the board determines to be satisfactory.  Students enrolling in grades 2-12 shall provide a certified transcript or similar pupil records.

         Enrollment Information

         The enrollment documentation shall include a student’s permanent record card with a student’s legal name as it appears on the birth certificate, or as changed by a court order and the name, address, telephone number of the lawful custodian.  The records shall also provide the identity of the student as evidenced by a certified birth certificate, copy of a court order placing the student in the custody of the Kansas Department for Children and Families, a certified transcript of the student, a baptismal certificate, or other documentation the board considers satisfactory.  If proper proof of identity is not provided within 30 days of enrolling, the superintendent shall notify local law enforcement officials as required by law and shall not notify any person

claiming custody of the child.

         Assignment to a School Building, Grade Level, or Classes

           Assignment to a particular grade level or particular classes shall be determined by the building principal based on the educational abilities of the student.   If the parents disagree, the principal’s decision may be appealed to the superintendent.  If the parents are still dissatisfied with the assignment, they may appeal in writing to the board.

         Transferring Credit

         In the middle (junior high) school and in the senior high school, full faith and credit shall be given to units earned in other accredited schools at the time the student enrolls in the district, unless the principal determines there is valid reason for not doing so. 

         Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools

         Students transferring from non-accredited schools will be placed by the principal.  Initial placement will be made by the principal after

consultation with parents or guardians and guidance personnel.  Final placement shall be made by the principal based on the student’s documented past educational experiences and performance on tests administered to determine grade level placement.

Approved:   BOE Approved:   8/7/13